Bruce has devoted most of his adult life to serving his community. He has been an active member of numerous boards, commissions and committees. He has been a lifelong area resident and holds a BA in Environmental Sciences. In 1975 he married his high school sweetheart Taffy (Comstock) and they have raised four sons in Essex. Bruce owned and operated two local Businesses before being hired as the Director of Facilities for Regional School District #4 where he oversaw the renovation projects of Valley Regional High School and John Winthrop Middle School. He retired from his position at the schools in 2019 after 20 years of service. He was a member of the board of selectman from 1988-1991 and Essex First Selectman from1991 – 1995. He was elected to the Board of Selectmen again in 2013 and is currently running for re-election to a fifth consecutive term on the Board of Selectmen. Bruce is a fiscally responsible proven leader with a great deal of common sense. He has the knowledge and experience necessary for the job.
“My goal is to keep our taxes low and our services high through fiscal responsibility with a conservative approach. My past community service and lifelong residency has given me the background and experience necessary to help lead our Town into the future.”
Joel was elected to the office of Town Clerk in 2013 and continues as incumbent Essex Town Clerk. His service to Essex includes:
- Essex Board of Selectmen 2009-2013
- Essex Board of Finance 2003 - 2009
- Essex Zoning Commission from 1987 to 2003, including Chairman.
- Essex Wetlands and Watercourses Commission Representative
- Essex Zoning Commission from 1997 to 2000.
- Essex Elementary School Building Committee.
- Elected to unexpired term on Board of Finance in 2003, re-elected in 2005. Served until fall of 2009 as Vice-Chairman.
- Member of the Valley Regional Athletic Committee in Fall of 2002 with the task of revising the school Athletic Guidelines and Regulations.
- Member of the Valley Regional High School Soccer Boosters.
- Coached and assisted with Essex Little League.
Joel is a graduate of Fordham University. He has been a resident of Essex since 1978 along with his wife Sally, Their son Chris is a graduate of Valley Regional High School and St. Michael’s College, Burlington Vermont.
Joel has been the owner of Essex House of Framing Since 1978.
Essex Republican Town Committee
PO Box 16, Centerbrook, CT 06409
Copyright © 2021 Essex Republican Town Committee - All Rights Reserved.